Shire adds to rare disease portfolio with acquisition of Lumena Pharmaceuticals, bringing late stage compounds for rare GI/hepatic conditions
- Acquisition of Lumena Pharmaceuticals, a biopharmaceutical company with late stage rare disease pipeline assets
- Adds to Shire's rare diseases portfolio and leverages this expertise, and is a perfect combination with Shire's already strong Gastrointestinal (GI) presence
- Adds LUM001 in Phase 2 development for four rare and devastating hepatic diseases, two pediatric and two adult with a potential 2016 approval and LUM002 a Phase 2-ready candidate for the treatment of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH)
- Very attractive opportunity to develop treatments for significant unmet need in rare cholestatic liver diseases as well as a treatment for non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH)
- Shire will acquire Lumena Pharmaceuticals for an upfront payment of $260 million in cash, plus a payment for net cash at closing, and near-term contingent milestone payments related to ongoing clinical trials
- These two compounds, and Shire's full portfolio, will be discussed in more detail at an Investor Day later in 2014.
Dublin, Ireland and San Diego, U.S. – May 12th, 2014 – Shire plc (LSE: SHP, NASDAQ: SHPG) and Lumena Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a biopharmaceutical company with rare disease pipeline assets, announce the acquisition of Lumena Pharmaceuticals by Shire.